10.10.2010

Poke Cake

This weekend we celebrated my beautiful sister's birthday with family, apple picking, and, of course, cake. 



Mom made Sissy her favorite birthday treat: Poke Cake! 

Have you ever had Poke Cake?! 
If not, you should! It's super easy and way yummy!

I should have taken some pics when she cut the cake, but there was too much going on at the time and I forgot. So here's a picture I found on Kraft's website.

Holiday Poke Cake recipe



Wanna try it? 


Poke Cake 

Ingredients:

Box of cake mix, any flavor. (Mom uses vanilla) 
1 cup boiling water
1 pkg. (3 oz.) JELL-O, any flavor (Sissy's request was cherry)

1 tub (8 oz.) Cool Whip, thawed


How to:

1) Bake cake as instructed on box. Mom uses (an equal amount of) applesauce in place of the oil, it's better for you and makes it moist and delicious! Let it cool.

2) Using a fork, poke into the cake, about half way to the bottom, all over the top. Pattern doesn't really matter, but don't let the jello be too concentrated in one area or you will compromise the structural integrity of the cake. (Though I'm sure it would still taste good!)

3) Add 
boiling water to dry gelatin mix; stir 2 minutes, until it's completely dissolved. Pour jello cake and refrigerate for 3 hours.

4) "Ice" cake using Cool Whip. Serve and enjoy! 

** Be creative with your cake/jello combos...chocolate w/cherry, strawberry w/lime,  vanilla w/banana...endless possibilities! I really want to try it with pudding instead of jello. Maybe spice cake with cheesecake pudding? (Hmmm, maybe a post to come?) 

We all love this cake, Sissy especially. After cake, we played "Just Dance" on the Wii. It was SO much fun! I am pretty much the most uncoordinated person on the planet, and I still had a great time. If you haven't tried this game yet, you need to. 

The next day, we went apple picking. *sigh of contentment* Have I mentioned my love of apple picking? hehe :-) Here are some photos. My camera died just about the moment we got out of the car, so there aren't many. Maybe mom got some good ones...



Yes, lots of woodchuck holes, and what we think may have been a bear dwelling! Cool! 



Gorgeous. I love where we live.  



Sissy and her friend in their apple tree fort. :-)


All in all, a great weekend. Happy Birthday Sissy, love you! 

Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

  1. now I'm craving cake, thank you ver much! :) found you on craftomaniac. cake looks yuuuummy.

    Kimra
    http://crafty-cove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so spooky and fun! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!