10.03.2010

Homemade Applesauce




I love apple picking. I think it is so much fun! When SP and I got married, I realized that I would now get to go apple picking twice if I wanted to, since we had two families! Sweeet! Well, sadly, this year we did not get to go at all. *sad face* And it is a bit too late in the season now. Oh well, there is always next year! So instead, I went "apple picking" at Shoprite...6 lbs for $4. Not too shabby, though significantly less fun. 

This applesauce came out really super yummy! Not too sweet, not too tart. Just right! And best of all, it's makes a lot so you can share! (or not, I won't judge you...after all, it's really good!) SP says that it is a new Autumn staple!




Homemade Applesauce

(Recipe from Simply Recipes)

Preparation time: 45 minutes. The sugar amounts are just guidelines, depending your taste, and on the sweetness of your apples, use less or more. If you use less sugar, you'll likely want to use less lemon juice. The lemon juice brightens the flavor of the apples and balances the sweetness.

INGREDIENTS

  • 3 to 4 lbs of peeled, cored, and quartered apples. 
  • 4 strips of lemon peel - use a vegetable peeler to strip 4 lengths
  • Juice of one lemon, about 3-4 Tbsp
  • 3 inches of cinnamon stick
  • 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar
  • up to 1/4 cup of white sugar
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt

METHOD

1 Put all ingredients into a large pot. Cover. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
2 Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon sticks and lemon peels. Mash with potato masher.
Ready to serve, either hot or refrigerated. Delicious with vanilla ice cream or vanilla yogurt.
Freezes easily, lasts up to one year in a cold freezer.





Yum. 
Thanks for visiting! 
:-)


4 comments:

  1. wow.. this looks amazing. I have no idea how I ended up here on your blog... but it is nice.
    I've never made applesauce before and my 19 yr old has been bugging me to try it. I think we'll follow your recipe. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just might have to try this. My daughter loves applesauce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we moved into a house with apple trees in the backyard and I have been wanting to find a recipe for applesauce. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my husband would love this! My kiddo's too! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!