10.05.2010

Oktoberfest: Featuring Spaetzle and Red Cabbage



A few weekends ago, we went out to a German restaurant for Oktoberfest! It was soooo good! I'm not a big fan of the wursts, but the pork chops and chicken were awesome! 

Not to mention my favorites: Spätzle and red cabbage saladMmmmm!



Look at those potato pancakes, delish! 

This has become something of a tradition for us, and it always makes me sad when my leftovers are gone...I just loooove spätzle! So what's a girl to do? You guessed it! Learn how to make it! I developed this simple recipe and it came out great! 

Spätzle
(German Dumplings)


Ingredients


  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 cup skim milk 
  • 1/8 c fat free half and half  
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • pinch of black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons light butter
  • 1/2 onion, chopped


  1. Combine flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg using a wire wisk. Add milk and eggs. Stir to combine.  


2. Let dough rest for 30 minutes. In the meantime, boil water in a large pot.
3. Using a spatula, press 1/2 cup batter through the holes of a colander into the boiling water.


4. Cook dumplings 5 to 8 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and place in another colander to drain.


5. When all dumplings are cooked, heat 2 Tbsp butter (I used light) in a large pan and saute the onions until then are nearly tender and turning golden. Add dumplings and saute until golden brown and fragrant. Salt to taste and serve warm.



Ok, so one down...red cabbage to go! 

This one I was worried about...it had to be just right! Unfortunately, because I had no idea what they put in their salad, I was clueless as to where to start for mine. Enter: Google. I searched for a bunch of recipes, but none of them seemed like they were going to be what I wanted, so I decided to wing it and see what happened.

 Best.  Decision.  Ever. 

Red Cabbage 

Ingredients:


1/4 cup light butter

2-pound red cabbage, chopped

6 Tbsp sugar

1/3 cup balsamic vinegar


1/3 cup red wine vinegar


Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. 


Wash the cabbage and peel off the outer slices that look yucky and have white gunk on them.  Slice cabbage into thin slices, then chop into smaller pieces. Look how pretty! 

(That knife looks creepy sitting there, sorry!)

Add cabbage and stir until it begins to wilt, about 5-7 minutes.  


 Add sugar and vinegar. Stir and reduce heat to med-low. Cover and simmer 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender. (Somehow I managed to forget to take a final picture of this! How?! Oh well.) Here's one I found online.

(Photo :Cookfood.net)

Salt to taste and enjoy warm or chilled! 


We had pork chops, spaetzle, red cabbage and my Homemade Applesauce!

Y.U.M.

October is still young, try these awesome German Treats!! 


4 comments:

  1. Oh my God you just made me so hungry. Thank you for sharing, I am definitely going to try these out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Spaetzel!!! They are good also with Goulash!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff...thanks for the leftovers!
    Love,
    the Dad

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!