12.07.2010

Stracciatelle (Italian Egg Drop) Soup

This weekend went by crazy fast! I had so much planned, though I didn't get to do all of it, that there wasn't a free moment until I passed out in my bed at midnight on Sunday. I feel like this weekend was my first reminder of what the holidays are all about...spending awesome, fun-filled days (and evenings) with friends and family eating waaay too many cookies and becoming more sleep deprived with every late night viewing of "A Christmas Story." I woke up this morning exhausted, but smiling. Once I get my pictures loaded, I'll show you some of the fun things we did! :-) 

 

For now, I'll share a yummy family recipe my mom made for us...

 

 

She had been craving it for some time and decided to make some this weekend. I hadn't had it since I was a kid, so it was nice to try it again. It's a really great starter for an Italian meal...though we had it before Chinese....go figure. 

 

 Stracciatelle 
(Serves 4-6)
6 cups chicken stock
1 tsp oregano
2 eggs
3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp bread crumbs
pinch of garlic powder   

1. Beat the eggs, cheese, bread crumbs, and garlic in a small bowl.
2. Bring the stock to a boil, add oregano, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Increase the heat to medium, slowly stir in the egg mixture a little at a time.
4. Boil 3 to 5 minutes and serve.

 

 It was REALLY hard to get a picture of this soup. If you make it, you'll see what I mean. All the stuff floats to the bottom, so we had to stir it before I took the shot. Well, then it would come out blurry because it's moving. But we eventually got some decent ones. It was almost like a game, there were 5 of us trying different "spoon twists" to see which one made the egg float on top the longest. hehe 

 

So there you have it, Stracciatelle. Try it, it's delicious! 

 

Come back tomorrow to see some child-friendly ornaments for snowy winter morning projects! 

Thanks for stopping by! 

:-)

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious, so funny, I just took pics of our chicken soup, kinda like matzza ball, but not matzza ball, he he. Im ROmanian, and I have no idea what the dumpling things are called in English, lol.

    Either way, you should come see. I hope to have it up this week.

    Come link this up to my weekly party **Amaze me August**, oh and congrats on almost reaching 100.

    I am having my FIRST giveaway NOW, --100 followers, lol-- Come enter girl, I am giving away SEVEN awesome prizes, to ONE LUCKY winner.

    Ok, well anyhow, hope you come say hello :)

    Bella

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!