1.03.2011

Christingle

 
I know this is a little late, but it was so sweet I had to share and didn’t want to wait until next year! The day after Christmas, we went with hubby’s family to visit a church in the area. It was a very small group of people, but strangely enough we knew two of the families there. Odd, but very nice. At the beginning of the service, the pastor called the children up to the stage and explained that they would be making a special project to share with everyone at the end of worship. They all ran off to the classroom and when the service was over, they came out with one of these for everyone…


Christingle
It is called a Christingle. The tradition started in 1747 as part of a children’s Christmas celebration.


The pastor explained:
  • The orange itself represents the world.
  • The red ribbon is a symbol of Christ’s blood shed for us, saving us from our sin.
  • The four tooth picks represent the four seasons, or the four corners of the world…God’s love throughout time and for all people.
  • The dried fruit, nuts, and candies are the fruits of the Earth and all God’s blessings.
  • And the white candle is for Jesus, the Light of the World, shining over everything.
I thought that was cute. The kids were so sweet as they passed a Christingle to everyone. I was glad that we were there to visit. On the way home, we all ate our oranges because we were late and didn’t have breakfast…hehe


Sweet deal!

I also wanted to share some pictures of the adorable snow village display my MIL puts up each year. Her dad, the creator of the name Wingledings, had a TON of these little houses, buildings, and people. Now a few of his daughters have various pieces to display in their own homes each year. They are really cute, see…

Christingle1
Christingle2
Christingle3

Ok, I promise to have some non-Christmas related posts in the near future…but I’m not ready to let go just yet!! I didn’t even take down my tree this weekend like I usually would…anyone else holding on a bit longer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!