1.16.2011

Chickpea Nibblers

Our library has a few shelves in the basement with books you can buy for a quarter. Being a cheap thrify gal who is a huge dork loves to read, I clearly frequent this area. Most days there isn't much to choose from, mainly old novels and "how-to" books for tasks I've never really had the desire to know "how-to" accomplish.

But the other day I hit the Mother Load! Oodles and oodles of Martha Stewart Living Magazine as well as tons of Better Homes and Gardens. I was in heaven. Thankfully I had my big purse that day, because I filled that baby with all the magazines the few dollars I had on me could buy. I was glad I only had a few bucks (but secretly wished I had grabbed more), because I could have done some major damage!  

These magazines were a treasure trove of tips, ideas, inspirations, and recipes...oh the many, many recipes! I will be busy organizing these for quite some time. (Read: Throwing them in a box and probably forgetting I have them until I find them one day and relive the excitement!)

Here is one recipe I tried from a 1994 issue of Living.


These are crazy easy and really great for healthy snacking! Just a note: I think I used 3/4 to 1 Tablespoon of oil, rather than the 2 it calls for.

"Drain, rinse, and pat-dry a 19-ounce can of chickpeas. Toss them in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, a pinch of ground pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite dried herb or spice (we used garam masala, an Indian blend; oregano would work well, too). Arrange them in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet, and cook at 300 degrees, stirring occasionally until they have browned and begin to crisp, about 50 minutes. Serve at room temperature. Chickpeas can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days."


I was so surprised that I liked these as much as I did. I have been looking for a few healthy snacking ideas to keep me on track, and this one is a nice option. I wouldn't say that I would choose them over chocolate or anything, but as a smart choice, they are tasty.


Try them with a few different spices and let me know what you think!

7 comments:

  1. oh yes, I have made these several times!! they are great on the South Beach or Atkins diet, a nice snack instead of popcorn. I like them best warm.. but would take them to work too... just REALLLLY season them, yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, yup, these look good, by the way can't thank you enough for the "skinnytaste" by Gina blog.
    Wow, did you see the recipe for Lightened Up Brulee' French Toast ????
    I know your "Hubs" will love it as much as the fat version !!!!
    Have a great day !!!
    Blessings and Love....Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good! I'd like to try them, but mine are in a bag. I'll have to see how long I'd have to boil them for before I could bake them. I'm not sure how that would work, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I'm not sure how long it would take, I've never cooked them from a bag...but I would say that you should make sure they don't get too soft. Sorry I can't help more! Let me know how they turn out if you try them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Healthy snacks...yes please!
    Would love you to share them at my Food Fight Friday link party.
    http://choochmagooz.blogspot.com/2011/01/food-fight-friday-anything-goes.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look tasty! I'll have to give this a try sometime! Thanks for sharing it at the catwalk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried chickpeas but these look great! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. I'll be featuring this today - stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a wonderful week ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!