1.06.2011

Arctic Artist

Well we survived our first snow storm of the season, and are gearing up for another. I love snow, but now that I’m not in school, snow days are a lot more work! At work, the kids and I love to play in the snow, but you can only be out there for so long before everything is numb. So I have been trying to work out an alternative to sledding and snowman building that both the 6 year old and 2 year old can both enjoy. Not an easy task. I used to teach Kindergarten before SP and I moved, and I remembered an activity I did with my students that went over really well!
Painting Snow!
snow2
When I did it with my class, I used squirt bottles with little triggers…but I didn’t have any around the house, so we used water bottles with a squeezy lid. It didn’t work out as well as I had hoped. It was a little too hard for him to squeeze, but definitely got the job done and the kids had a blast.
snow
All you need to do is add a few drops of food coloring to a bottle of water (spray bottle if you have one), shake it up, and let them go at it! Just be warned, I don’t know what it would do to clothes, so I suggest old or dark colored clothing.
We will definitely try this again with the fresh snow on Monday! I think I will invest in a few spray bottles over the weekend so I’m ready!
What’s your favorite snow day activity?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!