4.13.2011

Low Fat Banana Nut Cookies

So last week I made a claim that I found "The One." The best low fat cookie I had ever tasted. One worthy of my time and the calories. Well friends, I'm pleased to say that this next recipe is the Mother of all Low Fat cookies. I mean WOW. These babies are so good I decided not to tell hubby they were low fat and he didn't suspect a thing! They are seriously addictive though, so be warned.



(Secretly) Low Fat Banana Nut Cookies
(Recipe adapted from Skinnytaste.com) 

  • 1 cup all purpose flour (Wheat/White mix worked well)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp light butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup mashed ripe banana
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups quick oats
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°; line two baking sheets with parchment paper or use a silpat.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

In a large bowl, with a mixer, cream together the butter and the sugars on medium speed.  

Add the egg, followed by the mashed banana and vanilla extract.

Working by hand, stir in the flour mixture and the oats until just combined and no streaks of flour remain; stir in the chopped walnuts.

Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the dough onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until cookies become light brown at the edges.

Let cool on baking sheet for 3 or 4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Store in an airtight container so you don't eat them all in one sitting!

Makes about 30 cookies.


I only made a few changes from the original...The little bit of chocolate is almost necessary :-) And the light butter evens it out, right? hehe I would love to see a little more banana taste, so I'm going to try an extract for next time....I'll let you know how it goes!


You absolutely MUST try these today! 
I'm not kidding. 
Do it. 
:-)

2 comments:

  1. Can you substitute egg whites, whole wheat flour and/or Honey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think egg whites would work just fine! A wheat/white mix works well, I'm not sure about just wheat. They might just have a tougher texture. If you try it, let me know! As for honey, I would say you could probably replace some of the sugar with honey at least, I've never worked much with honey, so I can't say for certain.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!